Monday, September 20, 2010

Getting out of your comfort zone

Last week for our Red Writing Hood meme, Ericka asked us to write a fantasy story with the theme of forgiveness.

Judging from the lack of link-ups (five!), my guess is this was an area with which most of us didn't feel comfortable. Myself included, as I started and stopped, started and stopped, and ultimately didn't finish.

That's right. I gave up.

I haven't the first clue how to write fantasy. I went and visited all of you who did participate and I was so impressed by all the different directions you took.

I just really didn't know how to come up with something for my own post.

Fantasy? Is so not in my comfort zone. I don't read it (although some of my favorite childhood books are fantasy: James and the Giant Peach, Net to Catch War, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, even the Wizard of Oz).

But as an adult, I don't have any familiarity. I have no clue what makes a good fantasy book.

I didn't push myself. I gave it a good go, but in the end, I let it go.

I'm not proud of that. I think it's really important, as writers, for us to push ourselves. To challenge ourselves and try new things. Maybe it will even inspire us to go in new and unexplored directions within our own (more comfortable) writing.

Think about the times you tried new things in your life. Not with writing, but with anything. A new food, for instance. You were a little nervous, maybe, but once you tasted it? AAAAAAH! New doors opened.

Get over the intimidation factor. Because what's the harm? You're not getting graded. You won't get fired. So what if it sucks?  What if you hated that food you tried?

At least you gave it a shot. And now you know: it's not for you.

But you won't know for sure until you try.

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure what direction I would go with that one. Very much out of my comfort zone too, but I ended up being away all week due to a death in the family. I may give it a try just to see what happens though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantasy is something I love to read, but I haven't really tried writing it. You're right, though. I should step out of my comfort zone and give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it. I have done this a couple of times with some of the prompts issued. I'm also going to make a better attempt to come out of my comfort zone, too.

    ReplyDelete

Write it!